What is biosecurity in poultry farms?
All measures carried out to control or stop introduction of the disease-causing pathogens in the poultry premises.
Which are the threats to biosecurity in poultry farms?
- Wild birds gaining contact with the birds
- Introduction of new batch of birds into the farm
- Rodents and domestic animals (e.g. cats and dogs).
- Contaminated people e.g. hands, clothing, footwear, hair spreading diseases between farms
- Contaminated poultry equipment e.g. hauling crates, catching equipment, feeders and Drinkers.
- Contaminated water source or waterers.
What are the key practices to ensure biosecurity in poultry farms?
- Cleaning and disinfection
- All in All out approach – avoiding multiage poultry flocks
- Isolation of farms and poultry units
- Movement control of animals, humans and equipment in the farm
- Good husbandry and hygiene practices
- High feed and water quality and delivery system